Mexican food is popular in Medellín and we look at 14 of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley that are popular with good food, updated for 2021.
I am originally from Texas, so good Mexican food was a part of my life there and I like authentic Mexican food. But much of the Mexican food in Medellín isn’t very authentic.
Some of the Mexican restaurants in Medellín don’t have very good hot sauces. This is likely do to many Colombians not really liking spicy food in my experience.
I have been on a quest to find the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín. And I have tried well over 25 Mexican restaurants. And the following list is the 14 best Mexican restaurants I have found in Medellín and my Colombia wife helped with this list.
Note that s few on this list can be considered be Tex-Mex. And one is a Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant. But they all have good food in my experience.
Delirio Exquisito is a popular Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Medellín with some very creative food with excellent presentation.
This is a trendy restaurant that draws a crowd, particularly on the weekends. And the restaurant name Delirio Exquisito means “Exquisite delirium”. Also, Delirio Exquisito has two locations in Medellín in El Poblado and Laureles.
Delirio Exquisito has some really creative food that is also very tasty. It’s a fascinating concept and they really put some thought into their dishes.
I am from Texas and I like good Mexican food. And I also like Asian food, particularly Thai and Japanese.
Delirio Exquisito is an interesting fusion of Mexican and Asian So, it’s unique among the Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Delierio Exquisito has two restaurants in Medellín:
- El Poblado, Provenza: Calle 10 with Carrera 33 corner.
- Laureles: Avenida Nutibara # 74B-09
Hours: Noon to 9:30 pm.
2. El Sombrero
El Sombrero is a popular Mexican restaurant in Sabaneta with authentic and really good Mexican food. A Mexican owns the restaurant and the cooks reportedly are Mexican as well. So, this restaurant has very authentic traditional Mexican food.
El Sombrero is a family run business that opened in 2008. So, it’s been in business for over 10 years. It’s a popular restaurant in Sabaneta with locals. And it is considered to have the best Mexican food in Sabaneta.
El Sombrero actually has two sections. One is the restaurant and the other is a “factory” where they make Mexican food products. So, the products used in the restaurant are made locally.
The restaurant’s slogan is “Colores y sabores de México” (Colors and Tastes of Mexico). The inside of the restaurant is very colorful similar to what you find in Mexico and the food is authentic Mexican food. So, it delivers on its slogan.
Furthermore, this restaurant has three good Mexican sauces at each table in the restaurant: picante (hot), extra picante (extra hot) and muy picante (very hot).
There are over 60 different Mexican dishes on the menu at El Sombrero with prices ranging from 13,900 to 28,900 pesos.
Address: Carrera 43C # 66Sur-27, Sabaneta
Hours: Tuesday to Thursday and Sunday: noon to 10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday: noon to midnight, Monday: closed.
Guadalupe Restaurante Mexicana is a hidden gem Mexican restaurant with two locations in Bello and one in Medellín that is popular with locals and has very good Mexican food.
Guadalupe is not Mexican-owned, it’s Colombian-owned but this chain of three restaurants has some good tasting Mexican food.
Guadalupe tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some very good food in my experience.
The service at this restaurant is attentive and extremely polite. And at the end of the meal, they bring you the check in a small decorated wooden box, for a final touch of Mexican culture.
There are over 20 different Mexican dishes on the menu at Guadalupe with prices ranging from 12,900 to 18,900 pesos.
Guadalupe has two restaurants in Bello and one in Medellín with the addresses listed below:
- Bello – Calle 55 # 52-27, opened about three years ago.
- Bello – Carrera 55 # 24A-06, opened about 1.5 years ago.
- Belén, Medellín – Carrera 76 # 32-128, opened in June 2018.
Hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm; Monday: closed.
4. Agua Fresca
Agua Fresca is a new Mexican restaurant that opened recently in Medellín. It’s located in El Poblado with a Mexican chef and has some good Mexican food.
This new Mexican restaurant opened recently in late July 2019. Agua Fresca was started by Chef Juan Manuel Barrientos, who has the iconic El Cielo restaurant in Medellín.
Barrientos partnered for this new Mexican restaurant in Medellín with the renowned Mexican chef, Edgar Núñez, owner of the restaurants Comedor Jacinta y Sud 777. Sud 777 in Mexico City was recognized as one of the best restaurants in the world by The Worlds 50 Best.
Also, the head chef of Agua Fresca is Mexican chef Antonio Trujano. The goal of this new restaurant is to bring authentic Mexican food to Medellín.
There are over 25 different Mexican dishes on the menu at Agua Fresca with prices ranging from 14,000 to 26,000 pesos.
Also, the dishes are relatively small at this restaurant. If you are used to generous portions of Colombian food – brace yourself. You will likely need a couple dishes to satisfy your hunger at this restaurant.
Address: Carrera 40 # 10A-30, El Poblado, Medellín
Hours: Noon to 3:00 pm and 6:30 pm to 11:00 pm.
Wajaca is a popular chain of eight Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive eating environment and a nice presentation and good Mexican food.
Wajaca is popular and has some good Mexican food in my experience and is recommended if you like Mexican food.
Wajaca has several traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- Tacos – eight types with three tacos for 17,900 to 18,100 pesos each
- Fajitas – multiple options for 22,900 to 29,900 pesos each
- Quesadillas – five types for 23,900 pesos
- Burritos – 10 types for 23,900 pesos each
- Chimichangas – two types for 21,900 pesos each
And there are several other options on the menu.
Wajaca has nine restaurants in the Medellín area with the addresses listed below:
- Laureles – Viva Laureles mall, Carrera 81 #37-100
- Envigado – Viva Envigado mall, Carrera 48 Calle 32b Sur
- Sabaneta – Mayorca mall, Calle 51 Sur # 48 – 57, Sabaneta (in new phase of mall)
- Belén – Los Molinos Mall, Calle 30A #82a-26
- Belén – Arkadia Mall, Carrera 70 # 1-141
- San Diego Mall, Calle 33 #43-66
- San Lucus – Carrara 25B # 18ASur-137
- Mall Villa Grande – Carrera 43A # 25Sur-05
- Belén – Los Molinos Mall, Calle 30A #82a-26
Hours: Noon to 10:00 pm
Zacatecas is a popular chain of Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive and colorful eating environment and a nice presentation and good food.
Zacatecas tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some good food.
Zacatecas has several traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- Tacos – six types for 6,500 pesos each
- Fajitas – three types for 19,700 pesos each
- Enchiladas – three types for 18,900 to 19,700 pesos
- Quesadillas – six types for 18,500 to 19,900 pesos
- Burros – six types for 20,900 pesos each
- Tostadas – three types for 14,900 pesos each
Zacatecas has three restaurants in the Medellín area with the addresses listed below:
- Laureles – Carrera 66b circular 5-47
- Laureles – Carrera 80b #35- 07
- Envigado – Tv 33 sur #32d-64
Phone: WhatsApp +57 310.894.7678
Hours: Noon to 10:00 pm
7. El Guero
El Guero Taqueria is a popular chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive eating environment and a nice presentation and good food.
El Guero is owned by a Colombian but tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some good Mexican food in my experience.
Also, this restaurant has some spicy sauces. Normally they bring two sauces to your table – a somewhat spicy sauce and a mild sauce. But if you ask they have a very spicy sauce that they can bring to your table. I prefer a good spicy sauce with Mexican food. In addition, the service at this restaurant chain is attentive and extremely polite.
There are over 30 different Mexican dishes on the menu at El Guero with prices ranging from 8,000 to 25,900 pesos.
El Guero has three restaurants in Medellín listed below:
- El Poblado – Manila – Carrera 43E # 12-12
- El Poblado – Provenza – Carrera 34 # 7-84
- Laureles – Primer Parque – Carrera 74 # 39D-16 in Mercado Del Parque
Hours: Monday to Thursday: Noon to 9:00 pm, Friday and Saturday: noon to 10:00 pm, Sunday: noon to 5:00 pm.
Poblanos is a new Mexican restaurant that opened recently in Medellín. It’s located in El Poblado has some good Tex-Mex style food. Poblanos is a new Tex-Mex restaurant started by four partners, three brothers from the U.S. and a family friend from Medellín.
Poblanos is located in the Jardín Latino gastronomic market in the Manila barrio of El Poblado.
Poblanos is a Mexican restaurant with several traditional Tex-Mex food options on the menu.
The menu uses a build your own style similar to a Chipotle in the U.S. and you choose from the following:
- Base: burrito, tacos (3), quesadilla, bowl or salad
- Protein: barbeque beef for 19,900 pesos, carnitas (barbeque pork) for 18,900 pesos, chicken for 17,900 pesos or vegetables for 15,900 pesos.
- Toppings: guacamole, Pico de Gallo, cheese lettuce, Poblanos sauce, corn and onions
- Sauces: Poblano sauce, mild tomatillo sauce, pineapple sauce, chipotle sauce and sometime have an even spicier sauce.
- Additions for an extra charge: guacamole, tortilla chips, Pico de Gallo, protein and chips and dip
Address: Carrera 43D #10-77 local 107, Manilla barrio of El Poblado, Medellín
Phone: +57 305 316 0014
Hours: Monday to Wednesday: Noon to 9:00 pm, Thursday to Saturday: Noon to 10:00 pm, Sunday: Closed.
Mi Pico E Gallo is a Mexican restaurant in Medellín that has been open for about 25 years. It has every good Mexican food including tacos and burritos.
This restaurant is located in El Poblado and it was opened about 25 years ago by a Mexican but the restaurant is now owned by a Colombian carrying on preparing Mexican food in this restaurant, which was started by a Mexican.
Mi Pico E Gallo is a Mexican restaurant with several traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- 5 different types of tacos (5 tacos per order) for 25,000 to 26,000 pesos (you can add a taco for 7,000 pesos but 5 tacos are plenty)
- 9 types of quesadilla dishes for 17,000 and 24,000 pesos
- 7 types of burritos for 18,000 and 23,000 pesos (these are huge burritos)
- 7 types of nachos dishes for 15,000 and 28,000 pesos
- 2 different flautas dishes (5 flautas per order) for 23,000 pesos.
Address: Carrera 41 # 10-19, El Poblado, Medellín
Phone: +57 301 474 0297
Hours: Sunday to Thursday: Noon to 9:00 pm; Friday and Saturday: Noon to 10 pm.
Chilaquiles is a small Mexican restaurant located in Laureles-Estadio with good Mexican food owned by a chef who studied moles and salsas in Mexico.
Chilaquiles is owned by Juan Gonzálo, a Colombian chef who studied moles and salsas for years in Mexico and in the US. Before the pandemic he also ran a Mexican place in El Poblado.
This is a small, hidden gem restaurant with only a couple of tables under a covered porch area. But it’s a popular local restaurant and a few foreigners have discovered this restaurant, as it has good Mexican food.
The menu includes burritos, quesadillas, nachos and tacos of your choice (make your own) for one, two or four people.
Address: Calle 48 # 78A-5 in Laureles-Estadio near the Floresta Metro station
Phone: +57 350 384 7335
Emiliano la Taqueria is a Mexican restaurant chain with two locations in Medellín, which has very good tacos but hasn’t been discovered by many expats.
Emiliano la Taqueria has two locations in Medellín in El Cento and in Belén. The El Centro location is small but is very popular due to having good tacos and inexpensive prices. So, there is normally a wait for a table during lunch at this location.
The specially at Emiliano la Taqueria is tacos. This place is like a small taco restaurant you would find in Mexico, which specializes in tacos.
There are nine taco options on the menu. For example, the taco al pastor is 4,000 pesos for one taco. And there are five taco dish options with three or four tacos for 11,900 to 15,900 pesos. For 15,900 pesos you get four different tacos. So, you can try the different tacos available.
Emilino la Taquiria has two locations in Medellín:
- El Centro: Calle 51 #48-9, Edifico la Bastilla
- Belén: Carrera 70 #135 near PriceSmart
Phone: +57 315.484.8798 (El Centro location)
Hours: opens at 11:30 am.
12. La Bronca
La Bronca is a popular Mexican restaurant/bar located in El Poblado in Medellín with a nice atmosphere and very good tacos and good guacamole.
La Bronca has some creative and delicious food and generous servings. Also, the service has been attentive each time I have gone.
The bottom line is that this restaurant/bar has a nice atmosphere with a nice presentation and good food. And it’s located not far from Parque Lleras. So, it’s been discovered by many foreigners and is popular.
There are over 10 different Mexican dishes on the menu at La Bronca with prices ranging from 22,900 to 34,900 pesos.
Address: Carrera 35 # 8A-125
Hours: Sunday to Wednesday: Noon to midnight; Thursday to Saturday: noon to 1:30 am.
Milagros is a popular chain of six Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive and colorful eating environment and a nice presentation and good food.
In addition, Milagros means “Miracles” in English. When you enter a Milagros restaurant there are lights and ornaments everywhere and an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe. There is Mexican color and culture everywhere in this restaurant chain.
Milagros tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some good food.
The service at this restaurant chain is attentive and extremely polite. And at the end of the meal at Milagros, they bring you the check in a small wooden tray with a standing image of the Virgin of Guadalupe, for a final touch of Mexican culture.
There are over 20 different Mexican dishes on the menu at Milagros with prices ranging from 18,900 to 44,900 pesos.
Milagros has six restaurants in the Medellín area and nearby with the addresses listed below:
- El Poblado – Carrera 25A # 1A Sur-45, Local 1554, in El Tesoro Mall
- Laureles – Circular 74B # 39 – 73
- Envigado – Carrera 48 # 32B Sur-139, Local 370, in Viva Envigado Mall
- Envigado – Carrera 48 # 26 Sur-87, in Contenedores Food Place
- Sabaneta – Calle 51 Sur # 48-57, Local 5039, in Mayorca Mall
- Llano Grande – Km 7, Ciudadela Complex, Lote 56
In addition, Milagros has a restaurant in Barranquilla in the Viva Barranquilla mall located at Carrera 51B # 87-50, Local 411.
Hours: Noon to 9:00 or 10:00 pm.
Orale! is a popular Mexican restaurant in Medellín with some good Mexican food. Also, this restaurant is Mexican-owned. So, this restaurant has some authentic Mexican dishes on the menu.
Orale! has reportedly been in business for about 15 years. It’s located in Laureles and is popular with locals.
This restaurant is a hidden gem, as it’s not located directly on LA 70 (Setenta) and is on a side street. However, some expats in the Medellín area have discovered this Mexican restaurant due to it having some good Mexican food.
There are over 35 different Mexican dishes on the menu at Orale! with prices ranging from 18,900 to 44,900 pesos.
Address: Calle 41A #70-138, Laureles, Medellín
Hours: Sunday to Thursday: noon to 9:30 pm, Friday and Saturday: noon to 11:00 pm.
The Best of Medellín
Besides this article about the 14 best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley, Medellin Guru has several more articles about the best restaurants and coffee shops in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- 19 Best Restaurants in Laureles in Medellín
- 14 Best Restaurants in Envigado, Colombia
- 15 Best Restaurants in Sabaneta, Colombia
- 14 Best Pizza Places in Medellín: The Best Pizzerias in the City
- 13 Best Burgers in Medellín: Best Burger Places in the Aburrá Valley
- 12 Best Steakhouses in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 12 Best Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants in El Poblado
- 14 Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Colombian Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Italian Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Places for Brunch in El Poblado
- 5 Best Independent Coffee Shops in El Poblado
- 8 Top Coffee Shops in Laureles
- 5 Best Nano/Micro Breweries in Medellín
Also, we have several additional best of Medellín articles:
- 35 Top Things to Do in Medellín and Nearby: Top Tourist Attractions
- 21 Best FREE Things to Do in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 17 Top Kid-Friendly Things to Do in Medellín and Nearby
- 14 Best Malls of Medellín – the Ultimate Guide to Medellín Malls
- 12 Best Museums of Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 8 Best Pueblos Near Medellín Worth Visiting
- 7 Best Panoramic Views of Medellín
- 5 Best Neighborhoods in Medellín
- 2 Best Walking Tours in Medellín
- 14 Top Churches in Medellín Worth Visiting
- 22 Best Mobile Apps to Use in Medellín and Colombia
The Bottom Line – the Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
All of the Mexican restaurants in the above list have good food and it was honestly difficult to rank the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley.
We have detailed reviews on the Medellin Guru website of all of the above best Mexican restaurants. You can click on the link in the heading of each of the best Mexican restaurants listed above to find these restaurant reviews. And the reviews include detailed information about the food menu and drink menu of each restaurant with prices.
I eaten at well over 30 different Mexican restaurants in the Medellín metro area in the over eight years I have lived in the city. And with the help of my Colombian wife, we chose my favorite 14 Mexican restaurants for this list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley.
However, I haven’t tried every Mexican restaurant in the metro area. So, if you know of a very good Mexican restaurant that you think belongs on this best Mexican restaurants list, please leave a comment below.
We are happy to try out additional Mexican restaurants and will update this list if we find other good Mexican restaurants.
What is your favorite Mexican restaurant in Medellín?
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on February 21, 2020 to add Poblanos to this list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Editors note: updated on November 24, 2020 to remove Tepito Tacos y Tequila in Envigado that is closed.
Editors note: updated on January 21, 2021 to add Mi Pico E Gallo to out list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Editors note: updated on February 9, 2021 to add Chilaquiles to this list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Editors note: updated on May 13, 2021 to add Zacatecas to our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Editors note updated on June 9, 2021 to add Wajaca to our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Editors note updated on July 11, 2021 to add Emilino la Taquiria to our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and add the new Sabaneta location for Wajaca.