El Guero Taqueria is a popular chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive eating environment and a nice presentation and good food.
El Guero is owned by a Colombian but tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some good Mexican food in my experience.
I have eaten at El Guero several times since I first discovered this restaurant about two years ago. Many items on the menu are very good. I especially like the tacos and margaritas.
Also, this restaurant has some spicy sauces. Normally they bring two sauces to your table – a somewhat spicy sauce and a mild sauce. But if you ask they have a very spicy sauce that they can bring to your table. I prefer a good spicy sauce with Mexican food. In addition, the service at this restaurant chain is attentive and extremely polite.
I am originally from Texas, so good Mexican food was a part of my life there and I like authentic Mexican food. But much of the Mexican food in Medellín isn’t very authentic. For example, I am sorry but BBQ sauce doesn’t belong on a burrito. But I have seen BBQ sauce in use at a few of the other Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Note the above photos are courtesy of El Guero Taqueria.
The Food Menu
El Guero has several traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- 13 different tacos for 4,900 to 8,000 pesos per taco plus one seafood taco dish with two tacos for 25,900 pesos.
- 5 types of burritos for 17,000 to 24,000 pesos.
- 6 types of quesadilla dishes for 17,500 to 18,500 pesos.
- 4 types of fajitas dishes for 18,900 to 24,900 pesos.
- 3 types of nachos dishes for 8,000 to 16,000 pesos.
Also, there is a Media Del Guero dish that comes with six different types of tacos for 24,900 pesos. And there is a Taquiza dish that comes with 16 tortillas and 13 different meats and vegetables and sauces for 99,900 pesos or 55,900 pesos for half-size.
In addition, there are 14 different additions you can add to your Mexican dishes for 1,500 to 4,000 pesos each.
Furthermore, there are six other Mexican dishes on the menu included two soups with prices ranging from 8,900 to 28,500 pesos.
The Drink Menu
El Guero has a decent sized drink menu. There are 14 different beers on the menu for 5,000 to 8,000 pesos. Also, there is sangria for 52,900 pesos per pitcher and six different cocktails for 14,900 to 21,900 pesos.
In addition, there are nine additional drinks on the menu with tequila including several margaritas for 10,000 to 22,900 pesos. Also, there are seven different liquors available for 8,000 to 15,900 pesos per shot or 175,000 to 290,000 pesos for a bottle.
Finally, for non-alcoholic drinks they have waters, coffee, sodas, teas and lemonades for 3,500 to 8,000 pesos.
How to Get to El Guero
El Guero has three restaurants in Medellín listed below:
- El Poblado – Manila – Carrera 43E # 12-12
- El Poblado – Provenza – Carrera 34 # 7-84
- Laureles – Primer Parque – Carrera 74 # 39D-16 in Mercado Del Parque
El Guero’s location in Manila is easy to get to, as it is located less than a 10-minute walk from the Poblado station of the Medellín Metro.
Another option to get to one of the El Guero restaurants is via taxi or Uber. Just provide the driver one of the addresses above.
Phone: +57 4 352 1629
Hours: Monday to Thursday: Noon to 9:00 pm, Friday and Saturday: noon to 10:00 pm, Sunday: noon to 5:00 pm.
Payment accepted: Credit cards or cash
The Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at nine of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- Delirio Exquisito – a popular Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Medellín with some very good and creative food.
- El Sombrero – a Mexican-owned restaurant located in Sabaneta that has good and authentic Mexican food.
- Guadalupe – a hidden gem Mexican restaurant chain with two locations in Bello and one in Medellín with good Mexican food.
- Agua Fresca – a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado, with a Mexican chef.
- El Guero – a chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Tepito Tacos y Tequila – a popular Mexican restaurant in Envigado with good Mexican food.
- La Bronca – a popular restaurant/bar in El Poblado with good Mexican food.
- Milagros – a popular chain of six Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Orale! – a Mexican-owned restaurant in Medellín with authentic Mexican food.
Also, we El Guero in our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
The Bottom Line: El Guero – A Mexican Restaurant Chain in Medellín
I normally stick to the tacos and margaritas at El Guero, which are very good. My favorite tacos at this Mexican restaurant are the pastor tacos. But I have tried several other things on the menu that have also been good.
The bottom line is that this restaurant chain has a festive eating environment with a nice presentation and good food.
I am originally from Texas and when I first moved to Medellín, one thing I missed was good Mexican food. Medellín has many Mexican restaurants but most of these are not very good in my opinion, as they don’t have authentic Mexican food.
But I later discovered that there are some good Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley. And we have covered seven of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín on this website and plan to cover a few more.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.