Poblanos is a new Mexican restaurant that opened recently in Medellín. It’s located in El Poblado and has some good Tex-Mex style food. Poblanos is a new Tex-Mex restaurant started by four partners, three brothers from the U.S. and a family friend from Medellín.
This new restaurant opened recently on December 6, 2019. According to the partners, the restaurant took about six months to open including all the paperwork for starting a business. Note three of the above photos are courtesy of Poblanos.
Poblanos is located in the Jardín Latino gastronomic market in the Manila barrio of El Poblado. In this small food market you will find several restaurants and bars including Tocho Morocho, Pokawa, Poblanos, Mamasita, Billiards Jimar Factory, Frutolight Swell, Lottus, Dogger, Nona Fifina, El Arranque and Hello Burger.
I was invited to Poblanos by one of the owners and went recently. I am from Texas and like Tex-Mex food. So, I really liked the food at this restaurant.
The Food Menu
Poblanos is a Mexican restaurant with several traditional Tex-Mex food options on the menu.
The menu uses a build your own style similar to a Chipotle in the U.S. and you choose from the following:
- What would you like?: burrito, tacos (3), quesadilla, bowl or salad
- Base: rice with cilantro and lime, black beans, pinto beans
- Protein: barbecue beef for 19,900 pesos, carnitas (barbecue pork) for 18,900 pesos, chicken for 17,900 pesos or vegetables for 15,900 pesos.
- Toppings: guacamole, Pico de Gallo, cheese lettuce, Poblanos sauce, corn and onions
- Sauces: Poblano sauce, mild tomatillo sauce, pineapple sauce, chipotle sauce and sometime have an even spicier sauce.
- Additions for an extra charge: guacamole, tortilla chips, Pico de Gallo, protein and chips and dip
Note both corn and flour tacos are available. Also, there are two desserts on the menu priced at 6,000 pesos – a key-lime pie (made with lemons) and Carmelita bar.
The Drink Menu
Poblanos has a small drink menu. There are four beers on the menu priced from 3,000 to 8,000 pesos. And there are margaritas or margaritas with infusion for 18,000 pesos.
For non-alcoholic drinks they have several options including waters, sodas and tea from 3,000 to 8,000 pesos.
Poblanos currently has specials until March 1 each day of the week as follows:
- Monday: bring a friend and receive a free Costenita beer
- Tuesday: 2 for 1 margaritas
- Wednesday: 15 percent discount with a university ID
- Thursday: 2 for 1 tacos
- Friday: 25 percent discount on beers
- Saturday: Free chips and dip with an entrée
How to Get to Poblanos
Poblanos is located in the Manila barrio of El Poblado in Medellín a couple of blocks from Parque Poblado. The restaurant is located near one of the main streets in El Poblado – Calle 10. Also, this restaurant is located about an 8-minute walk from Parque Lleras.
The nearest Medellín Metro station is the Poblado station on the A Line. And this restaurant is about an 8-minute walk uphill from the Poblado metro station.
Taxis are another option to get to this restaurant, just provide the address below:
Address: Carrera 43D #10-77 local 107, Manila barrio of El Poblado, Medellín
Phone: +57 305 316 0014
Hours: Monday to Wednesday: Noon to 9:00 pm, Thursday to Saturday: Noon to 10:00 pm, Sunday: Closed.
The Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at 10 of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- Delirio Exquisito – a popular Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Medellín with some very good and creative food.
- El Sombrero – a Mexican-owned restaurant located in Sabaneta that has good and authentic Mexican food.
- Guadalupe – a hidden gem Mexican restaurant chain with two locations in Bello and one in Medellín with good Mexican food.
- Agua Fresca – a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado, with a Mexican chef.
- El Guero – a chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Tepito Tacos y Tequila – a popular Mexican restaurant in Envigado with good Mexican food.
- Poblanos – a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado with good Tex-Mex food.
- La Bronca – a popular restaurant/bar in El Poblado with good Mexican food.
- Milagros – a popular chain of six Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Orale! – a Mexican-owned restaurant in Medellín with authentic Mexican food.
Also, we included Poblanos in our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
The Bottom Line: Poblanos – A New Mexican Restaurant in Medellín
Poblanos has some tasty food with high quality ingredients. This restaurant is similar to a Chipotle in the U.S. Basically, you pick your base (burrito, tacos, quesadilla, bowl or salad), meat and toppings. So, you get your favorite ingredients.
The bottom line is that this new restaurant has some good Tex-Mex food and is located in the small Jardín Latino gastronomic market with a good atmosphere. And it’s located not very far from Parque Lleras. So, I expect it will quickly be discovered by many foreigners.
I have been on a quest to find the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín. And I have tried well over 25 Mexican restaurants and written about 10 of the best I have found.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.