Chilaquiles is a small Mexican restaurant located in Laureles-Estadio with good Mexican food owned by a chef who studied moles and salsas in Mexico.
Chilaquiles is owned by Juan Gonzálo, a Colombian chef who studied moles and salsas for years in Mexico and in the US. Before the pandemic he also ran a Mexican place in El Poblado.
This restaurant was recently recommended by a Medellin Guru reader and I went to try it out and was pleasantly surprised, as it has some good Mexican food.
This is a small, hidden gem restaurant with only a couple of tables under a covered porch area. But it’s a popular local restaurant and a few foreigners have discovered this restaurant, as it has good Mexican food. Note that three of the above photos are courtesy of Chilaquiles.
The Food Menu
Chilaquiles has a relatively small menu. Chilaquiles is a Mexican restaurant with traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- Burrito combo – with your choice of meat or vegetarian with onions, mushrooms and black beans, comes with totopos (nachos) and fresh juice of the day – 18,000 pesos
- Quesadilla combo – with your choice of meat or vegetarian with onions, muchrooms, cream cheese, comes with totopos (nachos) and fresh juice of the day – 18,000 pesos
- Taquiza (Tacos of your choice) for one person – choose one meat or vegetarian and make your own tacos and nachos with 8 tortillas and nacho chips with sides of guacamole, cream cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, salted vegetables = 23,500 pesos
- Taquiza (Tacos of your choice) for two people – choose two meats or vegetarian and make your own tacos and nachos with 8 tortillas and nacho chips with sides of guacamole, cream cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, salted vegetables = 46,200 pesos
- Taquiza (Tacos of your choice) for four people – choose four meats or vegetarian and make your own tacos and nachos with 8 tortillas and nacho chips with sides of guacamole, cream cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, salted vegetables = 90,200 pesos
- Beef Totopos (nachos) for two people – choose two meats and comes with pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, black beans – 27,300 pesos
Also, there are two appetizers on the menu for only 5,000 pesos. One appetizer is a taco with your choice of meat or vegetarian.
In addition, you can add additional guacamole or cream for 2,500 pesos and pico de gallo or beans for 2,000 pesos. Furthermore, there are several sauces available including some good spicy sauces.
The Drink Menu
A downside of this restaurant is that Chilaquiles has a tiny drink menu. There are a few fresh water/juice drinks for 5,000 pesos and micheladas for 2,000 to 3,000 pesos.
How to Get to Chilaquiles
Chilaquiles is located in Laureles-Estadio. The nearest Medellín Metro station is the Floresta station on the B Line. And this restaurant is located only two blocks from the metro station.
Taxis are another option to get to this Mexican restaurant, provide the address below. Every taxi driver in Medellín will know where the Floresta metro station is located and this restaurant is located near the metro station.
Address: Calle 48 # 78A-5 in Laureles-Estadio near the Floresta Metro station
Phone: +57 320 527 4970
The Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at 11 of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- Delirio Exquisito – a popular Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Medellín with some very good and creative food.
- El Sombrero – a Mexican-owned restaurant located in Sabaneta that has good and authentic Mexican food.
- Guadalupe – a hidden gem Mexican restaurant chain with two locations in Bello and one in Medellín with good Mexican food.
- Agua Fresca – a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado, with a Mexican chef.
- El Guero – a chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Poblanos – a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado with good Tex-Mex food.
- Mi Pico E Gallo – a popular Mexican restaurant in El Poblado that has been in business about 25 years.
- Chilaquiles – a small Restaurant in Laureles-Estadio with good Mexican food
- La Bronca – a popular restaurant/bar in El Poblado with good Mexican food.
- Milagros – a popular chain of six Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Orale! – a Mexican-owned restaurant in Medellín with authentic Mexican food.
Also, we included Chilaquiles in our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
The Bottom Line: Chilaquiles – a Small Restaurant in Medellin with Good Mexican Food
I have been on a quest to find the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín. And I have tried well over 25 Mexican restaurants and written about 11 of the best I have found.
When I went to this restaurant recommend by a Medellin Guru reader, I was pleasantly surprised, as it has some authentic Mexican food and good salsas.
In the past we have only covered larger restaurants in Medellín. We plan to look at a few small hidden gem restaurants that have good food and haven’t yet been discovered by many foreigners.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Jeff, I am confused about the address. A Google search of Calle 48- #48-21 shows the restaurant to be on the East side of the Medellin River, WEst of El Hueco Centro whereas Floresta is far to the West of that on the other side of the river.
Thanks for catching that. Got the incorrect address from one website – now corrected to Calle 48 # 78A-5.
Thanks a lot Jeff for your visit.
Con un profundo amor x México,
Juan Gonzalo Botero
Chilaquiles phone number 3205274970