Zacatecas is a popular chain of Mexican restaurants in Medellín with a festive and colorful eating environment and a nice presentation and good food.
I went to this restaurant with a Medellin Guru reader a long time ago but never wrote about it but the reader reminded me about it and sent some photos.
Zacatecas tries to provide an authentic Mexican experience and succeeds in the presentation and it has some good food.
I am originally from Texas, so good Mexican food was a part of my life there and I like authentic Mexican food. But much of the Mexican food in Medellín isn’t very authentic. For example, I am sorry but BBQ sauce doesn’t belong on a burrito. But I have seen this at some of the Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
Note three of the above photos are courtesy of Zacatecas.
The Food Menu
Zacatecas has several traditional Mexican food options on the menu including:
- Tacos – six types for 6,500 pesos each
- Fajitas – three types for 19,700 pesos each
- Enchiladas – three types for 18,900 to 19,700 pesos
- Quesadillas – six types for 18,500 to 19,900 pesos
- Burros – six types for 20,900 pesos each
- Tostadas – three types for 14,900 pesos each
Also, there are 10 specialties of the house for 18,500 to 20,900 pesos. In addition, there are three appetizers on the menu for 8,500 to 12,500 pesos.
Furthermore, there are 11 additions like extra queso (cheese) for 4,000 to 6,000 pesos.
The Drink Menu
Zacatecas has a decent sized drink menu. There are over 10 beers for 4,600 to 10,900 pesos. Also, there are four liquors for 3,400 to 6,500 pesos per shot or 31,900 pesos for a half bottle or 100,000 pesos for a full bottle of Tequila.
In addition, there is sangria available for 46,500 pesos for a pitcher and margaritas for 11,400 pesos and a few other mixed drinks available.
For non-alcoholic drinks. There are juices, sodas, lemonades, teas and waters for 3,200 to 6,800 pesos.
How to Get to Zacatecas
Zacatecas has three restaurants in the Medellín area with the addresses listed below:
- Laureles – Carrera 66b circular 5-47
- Laureles – Carrera 80b #35- 07
- Envigado – Tv 33 sur #32d-64
Phone: WhatsApp +57 310.894.7678
Hours: Noon to 10:00 pp
One way to get to one of the Zacatecas restaurants is via taxi. Just provide the driver one of the addresses above.
The Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at 12 of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- Delirio Exquisito– a popular Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Medellín with some very good and creative food.
- El Sombrero– a Mexican-owned restaurant located in Sabaneta that has good and authentic Mexican food.
- Guadalupe– a hidden gem Mexican restaurant chain with two locations in Bello and one in Medellín with good Mexican food.
- Agua Fresca– a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado, with a Mexican chef.
- Zacatecas – a chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good Mexican food.
- El Guero– a chain of three Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Poblanos– a new Mexican restaurant in El Poblado with good Tex-Mex food.
- Mi Pico E Gallo– a Mexican restaurant in Medellín that has been open for about 25 years.
- Chilaquiles – a a small Mexican restaurant located in Laureles-Estadio with good Mexican food
- La Bronca– a popular restaurant/bar in El Poblado with good Mexican food.
- Milagros– a popular chain of six Mexican restaurants in Medellín with good food.
- Orale!– a Mexican-owned restaurant in Medellín with authentic Mexican food.
Also, we included Zacatecas in our list of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín.
The Bottom Line: Zacatecas – A Popular Chain of Mexican Restaurants in Medellín
Zacatecas is popular and has some good Mexican food in my experience and is recommended if you like Mexican food.
I am originally from Texas and when I first moved to Medellín, one thing I missed was good Mexican food. Medellín has many Mexican restaurants but most of these are not very good in my opinion, as they don’t have authentic Mexican food.
But I later discovered that there are some good Mexican restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley. And we have covered some of the best Mexican restaurants in Medellín on this website and plan to cover a few more.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.