Pizzeria Centro is a pizzeria located in El Centro in Medellín that hasn’t been discovered by many foreigners. But it has excellent thin-crust pizza cooked in a wood-burning brick oven.
A Colombia friend told me about this pizzeria several months ago. And I finally went a little over a week ago. Also, I already went back to this pizzeria with a friend on Thursday, as the pizza is so good and I really like thin-crust pizza.
Pizzeria Centro is popular and is the third highest rated pizzeria in Medellín on TripAdvisor. Note the above photo is two pizzas at Pizzeria Centro.
More About Pizzeria Centro
Rodrigo Puyo is the English-speaking owner of Pizzeria Centro. Rodrigo is an apprentice of Giorgio Budicin, a chef based in Medellin, who taught Rodrigo how to make pizza as they do in Italy.
This pizzzeria reportedly opened in October 2007 and it has a loyal local customer base.
Outside of Pizzeria Centro is a simple neon sign ¨Pizzeria¨. And inside you will feel like you are transported to Italy with al fresco walls and tile floors. And the pizzeria has a high ceiling with several small rooms with tables.
The ingredients used at this pizzeria are of very high quality, starting with an excellent sauce with several marinated and thoughtfully selected toppings.
The Food Menu at Pizzeria Centro
Pizzeria Centro specializes in pizzas and there are 23 different pizzas on the menu. The pizzas at Pizzeria Centro come in one size with eight slices. And all the pizzas come with a tomato sauce base.
Here is a list of the 23 different pizzas on Pizzeria Centro’s menu:
- Margarita – mozzarella cheese and fresh basil – 27,800 pesos
- Pugliese – mozzarella cheese, onions and olives – 27,800 pesos
- Vegetarian – mozzarella cheese, onions, peppers and mushrooms – 28,800 pesos
- Vegetarian de lili – mozzarella cheese, onions, peppers and basil – 28,800 pesos
- Artichoke – mozzarella cheese and artichokes in olive oil – 30,800 pesos
- Eggplant – mozzarella cheese and marinated eggplant – 30,800 pesos
- Napolitana – mozzarella cheese and anchovies – 29,800 pesos
- Tonno e cipolla – mozzarella cheese, onions and tuna – 27,800 pesos
- Salmon – mozzarella cheese, dill and smoked salmon – 32,000 pesos
- Ham and mushrooms – mozzarella cheese, ham and mushrooms – 28,800 pesos
- Pepperoni – mozzarella cheese and pepperoni – 27,800 pesos
- Italian salami – mozzarella cheese and Italian salami – 27,800 pesos
- Prosciutto – mozzarella cheese and Serrano or Parma ham – 32,800 pesos
- Bondiola – mozzarella cheese and matured pork loin – 32,800 pesos
- Veneciana – mozzarella cheese and cured beef – 30,800 pesos
- Romano – mozzarella cheese and smoked pork loin – 30,800 pesos
- Speck – mozzarella cheese and speck beef – 32,800 pesos
- Spanish Chorizo – mozzarella cheese and Spanish Chorizo – 29,800 pesos
- Giorgi – mozzarella cheese, ham, mushrooms and salami – 32,800 pesos
- Trio Formagge – mozzarella cheese, blue cheese and parmesan cheese – 30,800 pesos
- Roast beef – mozzarella cheese and roast beef – 30,800 pesos
- Bresaola – mozzarella cheese and cured veal – 32,800 pesos
- Pork in sea salt – mozzarella cheese and cured pork with fine herbs – 30,800 pesos
And of course, you can add or subtract ingredients to any of the above pizzas. Pizzeria Centro is strictly a pizzeria. So, there are only a few more food items in the menu.
Also, on the menu are four different desserts for 7,500 pesos each. And there are two appetizers – hors d’oeuvre of the house for 17,500 pesos and Carpaccio for 14,500 pesos.
The Drink Menu at Pizzeria Centro
The pizzeria has several drinks on the menu, including 12 beers for 5,500 to 7,700 pesos each and several sodas for 4,000 pesos each.
In addition, the menu includes several wines for 54,000 pesos per bottle, 29,000 pesos per half bottle and 7,500 pesos by glass. And there are nine different liquors on the menu like aguardiente, rum and whisky available by bottle, half-bottle or shot.
Also, it has lemonade for 7,000 pesos, two different teas for 4,000 and 6,500 pesos and bottled water for 4,000 pesos. And there are seven different coffees on the menu for 4,500 pesos each.
Location of Pizzeria Centro
How to Get to Pizzeria Centro
Pizzeria Centro is located in El Centro in Medellín.
One way to get to this pizzeria is by using the Medellín Metro. To get there you would take Line A of the metro to the Parque Berrio metro station. The pizzeria is located about a 16-minute walk from this metro station. Or it’s located a minimum fare (5,400 pesos) taxi ride from this metro station. After about 7 pm when El Centro starts to clear out it is best to take a taxi.
Another way is via taxi or Uber from your location. Just provide the driver with the address listed below. And on the street in front of the pizzeria it’s easy to catch a taxi.
Address: Calle 57 # 41-57, El Centro, Medellín
Phone: +57 4 254 4510
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday: 4:30 pm to 11 pm, closed Sunday and Monday.
The Best Pizzerias in Medellín
We have looked at 11 of the best pizzerias in the Medellín metro area with very good pizzas.
- Ammazza – a popular chain of three pizzerias in Medellín with excellent thin-crust pizzas.
- Pizzeria Centro – a pizzeria in El Centro with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Café Zorba – a very popular pizzeria in El Poblado with very good vegetarian thin-crust pizzas.
- Due Amici Pizzeria – a pizzeria in Suramericana with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Pizzería Olivia – a popular chain of eight pizzerias in Medellín.
- Pizza en Leña – a chain of two pizzerias in Sabaneta – owner is Dutch.
- Ragazzi Pizzas Y Pastas – a chain with three pizzerias in the Medellín area.
- Opera – a pizzeria in Laureles with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Da Filippo – a pizzeria in El Poblado with good thin-crust pizzas.
- Bigotes – a chain of two German pizzerias in Medellín – owner is German.
- Cavieli Ristorante Caffe– a popular pizzeria in Belén near Clínica las Américas.
All 11 pizzerias listed above in my opinion have better pizza than the big pizza chains in Medellín like Domino’s, Jeno’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Doble Pizza or Pizzas Piccolo.
In addition, in my opinion, Papa John’s has the best pizza out of the big pizza delivery chains in Colombia. But all 11 of the above independent pizzerias we have looked at have better pizzas than Papa John’s and the other big pizza chains in Colombia.
The Bottom Line: Pizzeria Centro
Pizzeria Centro has some outstanding thin-crust pizzas. If this pizzeria was located in El Poblado or Laureles, it would likely be even more popular and have many foreigner customers.
But its location in El Centro means that this pizzeria is off the beaten foreigner tourist path. So, this pizzeria hasn’t been discovered by many foreigners and the customer base is mainly Colombians.
However, if you like thin-crust pizza with high quality ingredients cooked in a wood-burning brick oven, Pizzeria Centro is definitely recommended.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.