Pizzería Olivia is a popular chain of eight pizzerias in Medellín with great brick-oven cooked pizzas as well as good Italian food. As a result of Pizzería Olivia’s popularity they have grown over the past several years to a total of eight restaurants in the Medellín area.
Pizzería Olivia is currently ranked #5 on TripAdvisor out of 73 pizza places in Medellín. And they are ranked #14 out of 110 Italian restaurants in Medellín on TripAdvisor.
However, I’m not a big fan of TripAdvisor. Be careful with TripAdvisor reviews. There are even companies which businesses can hire to create highly believable fake TripAdvisor reviews, fix a reputation if they’ve received bad reviews, or even sabotage competitors. An Italian magazine even got a fake restaurant that doesn’t even exist to be rated #1 on TripAdvisor. So, be skeptical of TripAdvisor ratings.
The above photo is of Pizzería Olivia in Mayorca Mega Plaza mall before the lunch rush.
My Experiences at Pizzería Olivia
I first discovered Pizzería Olivia several years ago when I was living in Belén. I like pizzas and Italian food. And I particularly like thin-crust pizza and Pizzería Olivia specializes in brick-oven cooked thin-crust pizza. So, I have eaten at this popular pizzeria chain many times and they have a big menu with many options.
In addition, I have eaten at five of their eight restaurants in the city. In my experience, the high quality is consistent in each of Pizzería Olivia’s restaurants in the city.
Pretty much everything I have eaten at Pizzería Olivia has been good. And I have tried several things on the menu. Most recently I had the Bolognese Lasagna, which was very good lasagna.
At night for dinner I have encountered the restaurant being full at several of Pizzería Olivia locations with a wait for tables, demonstrating the popularity of this restaurant chain.
The Pizzas at Pizzería Olivia
Pizzería Olivia specializes in thin-crust pizza. And they have a big selection of 29 different pizzas on the menu ranging in price from 17,500 to 36,900 pesos:
- Greek – with pesto, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, artichokes and black olives – 25,900 pesos.
- Mushroom – with Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, mushroom mix and truffle oil – 23,900 pesos.
- Cinque Formaggi – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, gorgonzola cheese, provolone cheese and parmesan cheese – 23,900 pesos.
- Mela – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese and apple – 22,5900 pesos.
- Aglio Anchcas – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, anchovies and caramelized garlic – 25,900 pesos.
- Meats – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, serrano ham, salami, pepperoni, Italian and Spanish chorizo – 29,900 pesos.
- Capricciosa – Four portions of different flavors: artichokes, serrano ham, olives and mushroom mix: half with Neapolitan sauce and half with pesto sauce – 23,900 pesos.
- Piccante (Hot) – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and chili peppers – 23,900 pesos.
- Asparagi – White base, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, roasted paprika, arugula, asparagus and pistachios – 25,900 pesos.
- Cheese of Maranon Vegana – Neapolitan base, cashew cheese, dried tomatoes, avocado and organic kale – 28,900 pesos.
- Burrata and Candied Tomatoes – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, candied tomatoes and burrata – 34,900 pesos.
- Serrano Ham – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, Serrano ham and Parmesan cheese – 27,900 pesos.
- Bacon and Plums – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, smoked bacon at home and plums – 24,900 pesos.
- Burratina – Double Neapolitan base, Serrano ham, Burrata, Rigula and black salt – 36,900 pesos.
- Margherita – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, bocconcini cheese and basil – 17,500 pesos
- Carpaccio of Salmon – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, salmon carpaccio, arugula and parmesan cheese – 28,900 pesos.
- Sailor– Garlic and saffron butter base, mozzarella cheese, octopus, mussels, squid and prawns – 36,900 pesos
- Turkey – White base, mozzarella cheese, homemade turkey breast, organic lettuce, white sauce and Parmesan cheese – 24,900 pesos.
- Ananá Pepperoni – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and pineapple – 24,500 pesos.
- Ham and Cheese – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese and ham – 23,900 pesos.
- Hawaiian – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, ham and pineapple – 24,900 pesos.
- Pepperoni – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, bocconcini cheese and pepperoni – 24,900 pesos.
- Verdure –Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, roasted paprika, asparagus, aubergine, zucchini and cherry tomatoes – 23,900 pesos.
- Alfredo – Alfredo base, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and truffle pasta – 23,700 pesos.
- Il Giardino – Neapolitan base, mozzarella cheese, ham, rustic, parmesan cheese, olive emulsion and balsamic – 26,900 pesos.
- Smoked Salmon – 30,900 pesos.
- Pizza Falafel – 28,900 pesos.
- Mafaldine – 19,900 pesos.
- Carpaccio of meat – 29,900 pesos.
The Rest of the Menu at Pizzería Olivia
The most popular options on the menu at Pizzería Olivia tend to be the pizzas. But Pizzería Olivia has many other things on the menu.
They also have many Italian items on the menu including choose your own pasta combinations where you chose the type of pasta and other ingredients. In addition, they have three types of lasagnas for 19,500 pesos each.
On the menu, you will also find seven different salads ranging in price from 24,900 to 34,900 pesos. In addition, they have 12 different salmon, tilapia, meat or chicken specials ranging in price from 24,900 to 35,900 pesos.
Also, Pizzería Olivia has an extensive number of appetizers on the menu with 14 different appetizers ranging in price from 12,500 to 35,500 pesos. In addition two soups are available for 10,550 pesos each.
Furthermore, Pizzería Olivia has nine items on the dessert menu ranging in price from 11,500 to 12,900 pesos. I like their brownie served hot in a small cast iron fry pan with ice cream, incredible!
Pizzería Olivia Drink Options
Pizzería Olivia has a pretty full bar with several drink options. They have several beers available including 3 Cordilleras, Coors, Miller and Heineken with prices ranging from 7,900 to 9,900 pesos.
In addition, they have over 30 different bottles of wine with prices ranging from 27,400 to 114,900 pesos and house wine for 11,500 pesos per cup. Also, they have several types of sangria for 34,500 to 51,500 pesos per pitcher.
Drink options also include a fair selection different liquor options including aguardiente, gins, rums, tequila, vodka and whiskey available by shot or bottle. Also, Pizzería Olivia offers 11 different cocktails with prices ranging from 19,900 to 25,900 pesos.
Furthermore, they have bottled water, lemonade, iced tea, natural fruit juices, sodas and tonic water available.
How to Get to Pizzería Olivia
Pizzería Olivia currently has eight locations in the Medellín metro area listed below:
- El Poblado: Carrera 43 # 7 Sur-170, Santafé Mall, +57 4 313 1532
- El Poblado: Carrera 25A # 15 Sur-25, El Tesoro Mall, +57 4 418 7687
- El Poblado: Carrera 43E # 11A-31, Manila, +57 4 268 5532
- El Poblado: Carrera 32 # 25 Sur-47, Mall Zona 2, +57 4 268 7487
- Envigado: Calle 30 Sur # 34A-47, +57 4 331 3885
- Laureles: Circular 74B # 39-46, +57 4 250 7785
- Belén: Carrera 82 # 30A-24, Los Molinos Mall, +57 4 356 0902
- Sabaneta: Carrera 48 # 50 Sur-128, Mayorca Mega Plaza, +57 4 366 4865
So, Pizzería Olivia has locations in each of the five most popular neighborhoods for expats living in Medellín: in El Poblado, Envigado, Laureles, Sabaneta and Belén.
In addition, Pizzería Olivia offers domicilio (delivery) service to your home.
Hours (Manila, Envigado and Laureles): Sunday to Wednesday: noon – 10pm, Thursday to Saturday: noon – 11pm
Hours (Other locations): Sunday to Wednesday: noon – 9pm, Thursday to Saturday: noon – 10pm
The Best Pizzerias in Medellín
We have looked at 13 of the best pizzerias in the Medellín metro area in detail, which have very good pizzas.
- Ammazza – a popular chain of three pizzerias in Medellín with excellent thin-crust pizzas.
- Pizzeria Centro – a pizzeria in El Centro with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Café Zorba – a very popular pizzeria in El Poblado with very good vegetarian thin-crust pizzas.
- Due Amici Pizzeria – a pizzeria in Suramericana with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Pizzería Olivia – a popular chain of eight pizzerias in Medellín.
- Pizza en Leña – a chain of two pizzerias in Sabaneta – owner is Dutch.
- Bigotes – a chain of three German pizzerias in Medellín – owner is German.
- Ragazzi Pizzas Y Pastas – a chain with three pizzerias in the Medellín area.
- Opera – a pizzeria in Laureles with good thin-crust pizzas.
- Ná Pizza – a popular pizzeria in Envigado with very good thin-crust pizzas.
- Pane y Pomodoro – a chain of two pizzerias in Medellín with good thin-crust pizzas
- Da Filippo – a pizzeria in El Poblado with good thin-crust pizzas.
- Cavieli Ristorante Caffe – a popular pizzeria in Belén near Clínica las Américas.
All 13 pizzerias listed above in my opinion have better pizza than the big pizza chains in Medellín like Domino’s, Jeno’s, Papa John’s, Pizza Doble Pizza or Pizzas Piccolo.
Also, we included Pizzería Olivia in our list of the 14 best pizza places in Medellín.
In addition, in my opinion, Papa John’s has the best pizza out of the big pizza delivery chains in Colombia. But all 13 of the above independent pizzerias we have looked at in detail have better pizzas than Papa John’s and the other big pizza chains in Colombia.
The Bottom Line – Pizzería Olivia
Pizzería Olivia is one of my favorite pizza places in Medellín. It has really good thin-crust pizza, which I like. It also has some good Italian food in my experience. The food is very good in my experience. So, it’s worth a visit.
The only downside of this restaurant chain is that some locations can get very busy, particularly at night on Fridays and on the weekends. So, it may take some time to wait for a table and service may be slower than on less busy days.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on January 5, 2019 with information from a new menu at Pizzería Olivia with some price increases.