Il Forno is a very popular chain of 22 Italian restaurants in Medellín and nearby areas that has some good Italian food. This restaurant chain also has a sizeable menu with many options.
In addition, Il Forno is currently ranked the 16th best Italian restaurant out of over 180 Italian restaurants listed on TripAdvisor in Medellín. But keep in mind that TripAdvisor can’t always be trusted for Medellín and in my opinion Il Forno should be ranked higher.
Note the above photo is the combination plate at Il Forno with salmon, Alfredo pasta and a salad, photo courtesy of Il Forno.
Il Forno History
The first Il Forno restaurant opened several years ago in the San Lucas barrio of El Poblado. And the restaurant offered Italian food and pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven.
This restaurant was popular so it expanded to another location. In addition, it has continued to expand to where it now has 22 restaurants in Medellín and nearby areas. Also, it has nine additional restaurants located in other cities in Colombia.
So, Il Forno now has 33 restaurants in Colombia plus a production site where I assume they produce products for the chain. And the chain claims it now has over 780 direct employees.
My Il Forno Experiences
When I used to live in Belén in Medellín several years ago, I first discovered the Il Forno chain based on a recommendation from an Italian I met in Medellín. And when I moved to Sabaneta, the nearby Mayorca Mall also has an Il Forno restaurant. So, I have eaten at this restaurant chain many times.
I have eaten at several of their 22 restaurants over the past seven years. And the food and service has been consistently good in each location. But sometimes their restaurants located in malls can get very busy with a line waiting for a table.
In addition, Il Forno offers domicilio delivery services. So, my wife and I have ordered domicilio several times. But a couple of items that were delivered we had to heat up, as they arrived not very hot.
Il Forno has many things listed on their menu. So, I haven’t yet tried everything. My favorites at this restaurant include the pizzas and the salmon with Alfredo pasta. And my Colombian wife really likes the lasagnas.
The Food Menu
This chain of Italian restaurants has a fairly sizeable menu with many appetizers, many pastas with a choice of sauces, several combination plates, pizzas, sandwiches, salads and desserts.
They have several different types of pasta available including fettuccine, penne and spaghetti. And the 17 pasta dishes on the menu cost between 16,500 to 30,900 pesos.
Also, there are four types of lasagnas on the menu priced at 18,900 pesos each. In addition, there are four different Canelones on the menu ranging in price from 18,800 to 19,900 pesos.
Also, on the menu there are 20 different combination plates. And these combination plates come with beef, chicken or fish that are combined with several pasta options and range in price from 18,000 to 27,500 pesos.
Also, there are 16 different pizzas on the menu with prices ranging from 15,500 to 23,500 pesos.
In addition, you have the option to make your own custom pizza by choosing your pizza toppings with a base price of 8,500 pesos (for the crust, tomato sauce and cheese) and each topping you select ranging in price from 2,800 to 10,900 pesos added on.
Il Forno also has 16 different appetizer options on the menu that range in price from 4,500 to 24,000 pesos.
In addition, there are seven different salads on the menu ranging in price from 18,600 to 25,000 pesos. And there are 15 sandwich options on the menu ranging in price from 17,900 to 26,900 pesos.
Finally, there are several desserts on the menu but I never have space for dessert.
The Drink Menu
This restaurant chain has a decent drink menu. They have over 15 wine options on the menu with prices per bottle that range from 50,000 to 86,000 pesos. And for some wines they also have half-bottles available with prices ranging from 29,500 to 47,000 pesos. In addition, the house red or white wine is 9,900 pesos per cup.
Also, on the drink menu there is also a selection of eight beers available, which include Corona, Stella, Aguila, Club Colombia, Pilsen and BBC (Bogotá Beer Company). And the beers range in price from 6,000 to 9,000 pesos.
In addition, there are several cocktails on the menu including Margaritas, Gin & Tonics and Cuban Mojitos priced at 16,500 to 18,000 pesos each. And Sangrias cost 17,000 pesos for a glass and 59,000 pesos for a bottle. Also, they have some other liquors available as shots including rum and aguardiente for 5,800 to 12,900 pesos.
Nonalcoholic beverages include several natural fruit juices for 5,600 to 6,500 pesos with water or milk. In addition, they have tea, bottle water and several soda options for 3,900 to 6,900 pesos.
How to Get to Il Forno
Il Forno has grown over the past several years to 21 restaurant locations in the Medellín area.
Also, many of these popular Il Forno restaurants are located in malls. So, you can even go do some shopping before or after eating.
The 21 Il Forno restaurant locations are listed below:
- El Poblado: Parque Lleras, Carrera 37A # 8-9; Tel: (034) 268 9402
- El Poblado: El Tesoro Mall, Carrera 25A # 1A Sur-45, Local 3474; Tel: (034) 266 6827
- El Poblado: Santafé Mall, Carrera 43 # 7 Sur-170, Local 4222; Tel: (034) 366 1873
- El Poblado: Mall Zona 2 Sur, Carrera 32 # 2 Sur-47; Tel: (034) 366 9891
- El Poblado: San Lucas, Carrera 25B # 18A Sur-137; Tel: (034) 317 1225
- El Poblado: Calle 18 # 35-69, Local 230, Tel: (034) 352 08 00
- Laureles-Estadio: Calle 39C #74-15; Tel: (034) 411 8875
- Laureles-Estadio: Viva Laureles Mall, Carrera 81 #37-100, Local 0190; Tel: (034) 413 6379
- Laureles-Estadio: Unicentro Mall, Carrera 66B #34A-76, Local 313; Tel: (034) 265 8740
- Laureles-Estadio: Calle 53 #71A -86; Tel: (034) 605 0115
- Envigado: Mall Villa Grande, Carrera 43A # 25 Sur-25; Tel: (034) 302 6165
- Envigado: Viva Envigado Mall, Carrera 48 # 32B Sur-139, 3rd floor
- Belén: Los Molinos Mall: Calle 71 # 65-150, Local 01-365; Tel: (034) 418 7116
- Belén: Arkadia Mall: Carrera 70 #1-141
- Belén: Gran Vía Mall: Diagonal 75B #6-105; Tel: (034) 343 66 36
- Sabaneta: Mayorca Mega Plaza Mall, Calle 51 Sur # 48 – 57
- Bello: Puerta del Norte Mall, Diagonal 55 #34-67, Local 2-157; Tel: (034) 483 0486
- Robledo: Florida Parque, Calle 71 # 65-150, Local 01-365; Tel: (034) 418 7116
- La Candelaria: San Diego Mall, Calle 33 #43-77, Local 3305; Tel: (034) 232 7276
- Las Palmas: Viva Palmas Mall, Km 16 Alto Palmas, Local 101; Tel: (034) 366 4881
- Rionegro: San Nicolás Mall, Calle 43 #54-139, Local 1311
- La Ceja: Viva La Ceja, Carrera 13 # 26B-56, Tel: (034) 418 1567
In addition, Il Forno also has 11 restaurants located in other cities in Colombia.
The Il Forno restaurants are open seven days a week but times may vary between the restaurants. You can see a list of restaurants and the open hours of each restaurant on the Il Forno website.
The Best Italian Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at nine of the best Italian restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- Romero Cocina Artesanal – a popular chain of four Italian restaurants in Medellín with good Italian food.
- Parmessano – a popular chain of 12 Italian restaurants in Medellín with some good Italian food.
- Pizzería Olivia – a chain of eight pizzerias in Medellín with great brick-oven cooked pizzas as well as very good Italian food.
- Della Nonna Tratoria – a popular chain of Italian restaurants with two locations in Medellín and one in Llanogrande.
- Il Castello – a popular Italian restaurant in El Poblado with good Italian food and they make their own pasta in a factory.
- Caduff Pasta Fresca – a popular Swiss-owned Italian restaurant in Laureles with good food.
- Palazzetto D’Italía – a hidden gem Italian restaurant in El Centro with good food.
- Dante – a popular Italian restaurant in El Poblado in the La Strada building with good food.
- Il Forno – a chain of 21 Italian restaurants in Medellín that has good Italian food.
Also, we included Il Forno in our list of the best Italian restaurants in Medellín.
The Bottom Line: Il Forno
The Il Forno Italian restaurant chain is so popular that it has grown to 21 restaurants in Medellín and nearby areas.
In my experience the service is always friendly and fairly efficient even when it’s busy. Also, restaurants located in malls are not always the best option but this restaurant chain has some good Italian food with normally pretty good service.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on October 6, 2018 with the newest Il Forno location in the new Viva Envigado mall.
Editors note: updated on February 20, 2019 with updates to the menu at Il Forno.
Editors note: updated on November 15, 2019 to add the newest Il Forno location in the new Arkadia mall in Belén.