Medellin Guru partnered with an insurance agent to offer Colombian insurance services to foreigners including health insurance, auto insurance, homeowners’ insurance and life insurance.
Several Medellin Guru readers asked about health insurance and other types of insurance. So, we partnered to offer Colombian insurance to readers. The insurance agent we partnered with has helped over 130 Medellin Guru readers obtain insurance in 15 months.
Features of the Medellín Guru Insurance Service
We partnered with Angela Berrio, who is a bilingual insurance agent who speaks English and Spanish. And she has many foreigner clients.
Features of this Colombian insurance service include:
- Bilingual – English and Spanish.
- Online quotes.
- Free consultations.
- Offers health insurance, travel insurance, auto insurance, homeowners’ insurance and life insurance.
Angela’s company offers insurance services to all foreigners and Colombians who need assistance in their process of finding the best insurance protection while living in Colombia. With over ten years of experience, they design the plan that best fits your needs allowing you to enjoy your life abroad.
Angela is an independent insurance agent but she prefers selling SURA insurance since they offer the best coverage. Also, she believes that SURA has the best private clinics in Colombia and is the most solvent health insurance provider in the country.
Angela is based in Medellín but can sell insurance throughout Colombia and even to clients overseas working via the phone and email.
Our insurance partnership is an affiliate relationship (like the Amazon affiliate program). If you use our Colombian insurance partner, Medellin Guru receives a small commission and you support this website. This is at no additional cost to you. The price remains the same, whether you use a button or affiliate link on this website or not.
How to Use this Colombian Insurance Service
To use this insurance service, just click on the “Use the Medellin Guru Insurance Service” button below. This will take you to a page where you can get a quote for insurance from our partner for health insurance by filling out a short form.
In 15 months of offering insurance services, over 130 Medellin Guru readers have obtained insurance in Colombia through our insurance agent partnership including health insurance, SURA EPS insurance, auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance and travel insurance.
Why Offer the Medellin Guru Insurance Service?
- Answer insurance questions from readers – Medellin Guru receives many questions about Colombian health insurance and other types of insurance monthly. By partnering with an experienced insurance agent, we can get help to answer all these questions.
- Provide a recommended insurance agent to readers to buy insurance – we also receive several questions each month from readers about where and how to buy health insurance and other types of insurance. So, we have partnered with an experienced bilingual insurance agent to offer insurance services.
- Supports Medellin Guru– the Medellin Guru website is costly to run and with this insurance service Medellin Guru receives a small commission from Angela’s company. This is at no additional cost to you.
This partnership with Angela Berrio for insurance services is similar to the exiting partnership we have with expatgroup.co to offer Colombian visa services to readers.
Our visa services partnership was launched in March 2019 and in the first 26 months, over 460 readers have been helped with visas and U.S. passport renewals.
Many of these visa clients also need insurance. So, we now offer both visa and insurance services.
Healthcare and Health Insurance are Very Important for Expats
The World Health Organization (WHO) ranks Colombia’s healthcare system as #22 out of 191 countries it ranked. Also, no other countries in Latin America were ranked higher than Colombia. So, according to WHO, Colombia has the best healthcare system in Latin America.
In addition, Colombia’s healthcare system is ranked higher than many wealthier countries like the United States (#37), Germany (#25), Canada (#30) and Australia (#32).
In Colombia, it is possible to have access to world-class healthcare at a fraction of the cost compared to the healthcare costs in the U.S. or Europe. Furthermore, the costs for healthcare in Colombia can be significantly lower than the costs found in the U.S.
Colombia has 24 of the best hospitals in Latin America, according to a study in late 2019 by América Economia that looked at the top 58 hospitals in Latin America. So, 41 percent of the best clinics and hospitals in Latin America are found in Colombia.
It is possible to find costs that are from 50 percent to even over 70 percent less expensive in Colombia compared to the U.S. In addition, health insurance is also relatively inexpensive in Colombia in comparison to the U.S. and Europe.
One of the reasons that Colombia has such a highly rated healthcare system is due to a new constitution that Colombia drafted in 1991 that made access to healthcare a basic human right to all citizens of Colombia, as well as foreign residents of Colombia.
There are three types of health insurance available in Colombia:
- EPS – Entidadas Promotoras de Salud – this is the public health insurance that is mandatory for everybody who is a resident of Colombia. The monthly premium is calculated as 12.5 percent of the monthly gross income that you declare to the EPS.
- Prepagada – this is private healthcare insurance in Colombia. The monthly premium for Prepagada varies depending on your age, the plan you choose and any pre-existing conditions.
- SISBEN – this is a free government subsidized healthcare system, which is only for very poor or homeless Colombians.
Medellin Guru’s Colombian Insurance and Healthcare Articles
The Medellin Guru website has some very popular articles about Colombian insurance and healthcare services:
- Health Insurance in Colombia: How to Sign up with SURA Insurance
- Sign up for SURA EPS Insurance: A Service for Expats in Colombia
- Travel Insurance: Meets the Heath Insurance Requirement for Colombia Visas
- Auto Insurance in Colombia: A Guide to Colombian Auto Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance in Colombia: A Guide to Colombian Homeowner Insurance
- Medellin Guru Insurance Service: Providing Colombian Insurance
- Colombia has 24 of the Best Hospitals in Latin America
- Emergency Surgery: Expat Experience in Clínica León XIII in Medellín
- Healthcare Colombia: Offering Services to U.S. Veterans in Colombia
Also, we plan to publish additional articles about insurance and healthcare in Colombia .
The Bottom Line: Medellin Guru Insurance Service – Providing Colombian Insurance Services
Medellin Guru partnered with insurance agent Angela Berrio to offer Colombian insurance services to foreigners. This service is easy to use, just click on the button below to get started.
In 15 months of offering insurance services, over 130 Medellin Guru readers have obtained insurance in Colombia through our insurance agent partnership including health insurance, auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance and travel insurance.
We highly recommend using a bilingual insurance agent to sign up for insurance in Colombia instead of trying to sign up yourself. Everything for signing up for insurance in Colombia is in Spanish and the forms can be complicated to fill out. And Angela will take care of signing you up for the Colombian insurance that is appropriate for your situation.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on July 20, 2021 with information about the number of insurance clients from this partnership in the first 15 months.