Medellin Guru has partnered with an insurance broker to offer Colombian insurance services to foreigners including health insurance, auto insurance, homeowners’ insurance and life insurance.
Several Medellin Guru readers have asked about health insurance and other types of insurance. So, we have partnered to offer Colombian insurance services to readers.
Features of the Medellín Guru Insurance Service
We partnered with Angela Berrio, who is a bilingual insurance broker who speaks English and Spanish. And she has many foreigner clients.
Features of this Colombian insurance service include:
- Office in El Poblado in Medellín.
- Bilingual – English and Spanish.
- Online quotes.
- Free consultations.
- Offers health insurance, auto insurance, homeowners’ insurance and life insurance.
Angela’s company offers insurance services to all foreigners and Colombians who need assistance in their process of finding the best insurance protection while living in Colombia. With over ten years of experience, they design the plan that best fits your needs allowing you to enjoy your life abroad.
Angela is an independent insurance broker but she prefers selling SURA insurance since they offer the best coverage. Also, she believes that SURA has the best private clinics in Colombia and is the most solvent health insurance provider in the country.
Angela is based in Medellín but can sell insurance throughout Colombia and even to clients overseas working via the phone and email.
Our insurance partnership is an affiliate relationship (like the Amazon affiliate program). If you use our Colombian insurance partner, Medellin Guru receives a small commission and you support this website. This is at no additional cost to you. The price remains the same, whether you use a button or affiliate link on this website or not.
How to Use this Colombian Insurance Service
To use this insurance service, just click on the “Use the Medellin Guru Insurance Service” button below. This will take you to a page where you can fill out a form to get a quote from our partner for health insurance and use WhatsApp and email to ask questions about other types of insurance in Colombia.
Why Offer the Medellin Guru Insurance Service?
- Answer insurance questions from readers – Medellin Guru receives many questions about Colombian health insurance and other types of insurance monthly. By partnering with an experienced insurance broker, we can get help to answer all these questions.
- Provide a recommended insurance broker to readers to buy insurance – we also receive several questions each month from readers about where and how to buy health insurance and other types of insurance. So, we have partnered with an experienced bilingual insurance broker to offer insurance services.
- Supports Medellin Guru– the Medellin Guru website is costly to run and with this insurance service Medellin Guru receives a small commission from Angela’s company. This is at no additional cost to you.
This partnership with Angela Berrio for insurance services is similar to the exiting partnership we have with expatgroup.co to offer Colombian visa services to readers.
Our visa services partnership was launched in March 2019 and in the first eight months, 126 visas have been successfully received by clients.
Many of these visa clients also need insurance. So, we now offer both visa and insurance services.
Healthcare and Health Insurance are Very Important for Expats
The World Health Organization (WHO) ranks Colombia’s healthcare system as #22 out of 191 countries it ranked. Also, no other countries in Latin America were ranked higher than Colombia. So, according to WHO, Colombia has the best healthcare system in Latin America.
In addition, Colombia’s healthcare system is ranked higher than many wealthier countries like the United States (#37), Germany (#25), Canada (#30) and Australia (#32).
In Colombia, it is possible to have access to world-class healthcare at a fraction of the cost compared to the healthcare costs in the U.S. or Europe. Furthermore, the costs for healthcare in Colombia can be significantly lower than the costs found in the U.S.
Colombia has 24 of the best hospitals in Latin America, according to a study in late 2019 by América Economia that looked at the top 58 hospitals in Latin America. So, 41 percent of the best clinics and hospitals in Latin America are found in Colombia.
It is possible to find costs that are from 50 percent to even over 70 percent less expensive in Colombia compared to the U.S. In addition, health insurance is also relatively inexpensive in Colombia in comparison to the U.S. and Europe.
One of the reasons that Colombia has such a highly rated healthcare system is due to a new constitution that Colombia drafted in 1991 that made access to healthcare a basic human right to all citizens of Colombia, as well as foreign residents of Colombia.
There are three types of health insurance available in Colombia:
- EPS – Entidadas Promotoras de Salud – this is the public health insurance that is mandatory for everybody who is a resident of Colombia. The monthly premium is calculated as 12.5 percent of the monthly gross income that you declare to the EPS.
- Prepagada – this is private healthcare insurance in Colombia. The monthly premium for Prepagada varies depending on your age, the plan you choose and any pre-existing conditions.
- SISBEN – this is a free government subsidized healthcare system, which is only for very poor or homeless Colombians.
Medellin Guru’s Colombian Insurance and Healthcare Articles
The Medellin Guru website has some very popular articles about Colombian insurance and healthcare services:
- Health Insurance in Colombia: How to Sign up with SURA Insurance
- Auto Insurance in Colombia: A Guide to Colombian Auto Insurance
- Medellin Guru Insurance Service: Providing Colombian Insurance
- Colombia has 24 of the Best Hospitals in Latin America
- Emergency Surgery: Expat Experience in Clínica León XIII in Medellín
- Healthcare Colombia: Offering Services to U.S. Veterans in Colombia
Also, we plan to publish additional articles about insurance and healthcare in Colombia over the next several months.
The Bottom Line: Medellin Guru Insurance Service – Providing Colombian Insurance Services
Medellin Guru has partnered with insurance broker Angela Berrio to offer Colombian insurance services to foreigners with a convenient office located in El Poblado in Medellín. This service is easy to use, just click on the button below to get started.
We highly recommend using a bilingual insurance broker to sign up for insurance in Colombia instead of trying to sign up yourself. Everything for signing up for insurance in Colombia is in Spanish and the forms can be complicated to fill out. And Angela will take care of signing you up for the Colombian insurance that is appropriate for your situation.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.