Mama Santa Parrillada is a steakhouse in Sabaneta that is popular with locals with good steaks and a nice ambience. It’s my favorite steakhouse in Sabaneta. And it’s currently rated the third best restaurant in Sabaneta on TripAdvisor.
Mama Santa is known as a parilla, which is a restaurant where grilled-meats are served. And in the U.S. we’d call it a steakhouse.
Mama Santa has a nice atmosphere with open air sides. So, it’s a good place to go with your sweetheart or with friends, family or business associates. Also, on the weekends, it even hosts live music with some local entertainers. In addition, there is Wifi available in the restaurant.
Mama Santa originally opened in 2000 at a different location in Sabaneta, in Prados de Sabaneta. I first discovered this restaurant at its old location several years ago. And about 2011, it reportedly moved to its current location on Avenida Las Vegas in Sabaneta.
The Food Menu
Mama Santa has many options on the menu. Since it’s a steakhouse, the specialties are dishes from the grill, which include:
- New York steak (Angus beef imported) – 44,000 pesos
- Ribeye steak (Angus beef imported) – 52,000 pesos
- Skirt steak (Angus beef imported) – 52,000 pesos
- Filet Mignon – 33,899 pesos
- Surf and turf – Steak medallions with srimp – 33,800 pesos
- Malevo, a special cut of Punta de Anca – 33,800
- Sterling – 33,800 pesos
- Lomo al trapo – 33,800 pesos
- Lomo bandera with bacon wrapping – 33,800 pesos
- Churrasco – 29,800 pesos
- Baby beef – 33,800 pesos
- Punta de Anca 400 grams – 34,800 pesos
- Punta de Anca 250 grams – 29,800 pesos
- Mix of two steaks – 33,800 pesos
- Pepper steak – 33,800 pesos
- Sirloin medallions – 29,800 pesos
- BBQ pork ribs – 29,800 pesos
- Pork chops – 29,800 pesos
- Chicken breast – 28,800 pesos
Each of these above dishes come with a choice of potato (baked or fries), a small side salad and a small arepa.
Also, there is a mix of pasta and meat available for 25,600 pesos. And there is a kids menu with two options, chicken fingers or mini-hamburgers for 14,800 pesos each.
In addition, the menu includes four different fish dishes with prices ranging from 28,800 to 32,800 pesos. The fish dishes normally come with salted vegetables and mashed potatoes. And there are two salads on the menu, each for 19,800 pesos.
Also, there are nine different appetizers on the menu priced from 5,500 to 56,800 pesos. My two favorite appetizers at Mama Santa are the empanadas and the Argentinian sausage.
In addition, there is a chef lunch special on Monday to Friday with meat, rice, soup, salad, juice and a dessert for only 14,000 pesos.
Finally, there are four desserts on the menu: Bailey’s Cheesecake, Maracuya Cheesecake, Tiramisu and Creme Brulee for 7,800 pesos each. But I never seem to have room for dessert at this restaurant with its sizable steaks.
The Drink Menu
The drink menu at Mama Santa has a good selection of natural fruit juices, soft drinks, beers, cocktails, liquors and wines.
There are at least nine different beers on the menu with prices ranging from 5,500 to 6,800 pesos. There are several lemonades and juices with prices ranging from 4,500 to 7,000 pesos. Sodas are 3,500 each and bottled water is 3,000 pesos.
There is also a pitcher of sangria for 58,000 pesos. Also, there are four different cocktails on the menu with prices from 13,800 to 16,800 pesos.
In addition, there are 10 different liquors on the drink menu available by bottle ranging in price from 58,000 to 130,000 pesos or by shot ranging in price from 4,000 to 12,000 pesos.
My Experiences at Mama Santa Parrillada
I first discovered Mama Santa several years ago with a Colombia friend who lives in Sabaneta. Since that time, I have eaten at this restaurant many times and the food has been consistently good in my experience.
The open-air atmosphere in the restaurant is nice. And Paisas seem to love outdoor dining year-round, which is possible due to the climate in Medellín.
The cleanliness of the dining area, restrooms and kitchen is immaculate. And the staff is cheerful and helpful and will make every attempt to make your experience memorable.
I went recently to Mama Santa for dinner with a reader from Medellin Guru. I had the Angus ribeye and he had the Filet Mignon. We both enjoyed the steaks, which were cooked to order and were very tasty. And the total for the two of us including drinks and tip was 105,000 pesos ($37 USD).
How to Get to Mama Santa Parrillada
The easiest way to get to Mama Santa in Sabaneta is via the Medellín metro. Mama Santa is located only about four blocks from the Sabaneta metro station on Line A. So, the restaurant is only about a five-minute walk from the Sabaneta metro station.
From the metro station you should walk east to Avenida Las Vegas and then go right (south) and the restaurant is located on the left side of the street.
Also note, the Sabaneta metro station is only about a 10-minute ride from the Poblado metro station.
Address: Calle 72 Sur # 46D-56, Sabaneta
Telephone: +57 311 719 1298
Hours: Monday to Sunday: Noon to 10 pm.
In addition, the popular Parque Sabaneta is located about a six-minute walk from Mama Santa. So, you could combine a visit to Mama Santa with a visit to Parque Sabaneta.
Best Steakhouses in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
Steakhouses are popular in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley. And on the Medellin Guru website we have looked at 12 of the best steakhouses in the area:
- Lucio Carbon y Vino – a popular steakhouse in Envigado with very good steaks.
- Barbaro Cocina Primitiva – a popular steakhouse with two restaurants in Medellín with good steaks.
- El Correo Carne y Vino y Amada – a steakhouse chain with three restaurants in Medellín.
- San Carbon – reportedly the largest steakhouse in Medellín.
- La Pampa – a chain with six Argentinian steakhouses in Medellín.
- Cambalanche – a popular Argentinian steakhouse in the Patio Bonito barrio of El Poblado.
- Malevo – a popular Argentinian steakhouse in the Manila barrio of El Poblado.
- Voraz Restaurante – a popular steakhouse in Laureles.
- Toro Restaurante – another popular steakhouse in Laureles.
- La tRES uno – a small steakhouse in Envigado with good steaks.
- Black Pepper Steakhouse – a popular steakhouse in Envigado.
- Mama Santa Parrillada – arguably the best steakhouse in Sabaneta.
In addition, we included Mama Santa Parrillada in our list of the 12 best steakhouses in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley. Furthermore, we included this steakhouse in our list of the 14 best restaurants in Sabaneta,
The Bottom Line: Mama Santa Parrillada
Mama Santa Parrillada is my favorite steakhouse in Sabaneta. It’s a popular steakhouse in Sabaneta with good steaks. So, it can get busy on the weekends. So, on the weekends I recommend arriving before 7 pm before it gets crowded.
If you are looking for a good steak in Sabaneta, Mama Santa is recommended. And if you are planning to visit popular Parque Sabaneta in Sabaneta, Mama Santa is only about a six-minute walk from the park.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.