Parque de los Deseos (Park of Desires) is a popular park located in Zona Norte in Medellín that offers a wide variety of free cultural activities including concerts and movies.
This open-air park/plaza is managed by the EPM Foundation. It frequently has events such as outdoor film screenings, concerts, workshops of science, art exhibitions, among others as well as recreational activities.
In addition, Casa de la Música is located at the park, which is an important city space that is a meeting point for musicians and artists of the city and promotes the growth of art and music in Medellin and the Aburrá Valley.
In the evenings, colleges students from the nearby Universidad de Antioquia gather in the park to socialize after classes.
And on the weekends, the park is typically full of families with kids, that come to the park to enjoy the water fountains and large sandbox and sometimes to see a free concert or free movie. Note the water fountains at this park are closed during the 2019 Feria de las Flores for maintenance and will reopen on August 13, 2019.
Also, all the activities at Parque de los Deseos and Casa de la Música are offered at no cost to attendees.
History of Parque de los Deseos
Parque de los Deseos was built by Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM) and opened in 2003 under the municipal administration of Luis Pérez Gutiérrez.
The park was designed by architect Felipe Uribe de Bedout with a goal provide a space for residents of the Aburrá Valley where they can interact with the natural environment and learn more about science in addition to the nearby museums.
The park has several interactive science displays including acoustic shells (which allows you to throw your voice across a sandbox to a friend), a solar clock, a demonstration of solar eclipses and others.
The park is sized at over 129,000 square feet (12,000 square meters). So, it’s a big space for concerts or outdoor movies. In addition, the Casa de la Música at the park was inaugurated in July 2005.
How to Get to Parque de los Deseos
Furthermore, any Medellín taxi or Uber driver in the city will know where Planetario de Medellín is located.
Also, this park is located in a very popular area for tourists. In addition, you’ll find several other tourist attractions nearby including Jardín Botanico, Parque Explora, Parque Norte and Planetario de Medellín.
Address: Calle 71, Medellín
Phone: +57 4 516 6005
Hours: Monday to Sunday: 10 am to 9 pm. Water fountains at the park are on from 11 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm daily (but the water fountains are closed for maintenance during the 2019 Feria de las Flores until August 2019)
Parks and Plazas in Medellín
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at 12 different parks and plazas in the Medellín and Aburra Valley area:
- Parque Arví – a very large nature reserve, which is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Medellín.
- Parque Lleras – the top nightlife district in Medellín.
- Piedras Blancas – an ecological park near Medellín worth visiting.
- Parque Sabaneta – arguably the nicest park in the Medelllín metro area.
- Plaza Botero – a popular outdoor plaza with 23 sculptures by Fernando Botero.
- Plaza Cisneros – Parque de las Luces, Medellín’s Park of Lights in El Centro.
- Jardín Botánico – the popular Medellín botanical gardens.
- Parques Del Río – Medellín’s ambitious River Parks project along the Medellín River with the first stage open.
- Plaza San Antonio – a large plaza with four Fernando Botero sculptures and sometime has concerts.
- Cerro el Volado – a huge park with incredible views of Medellín.
- Cerro Pan de Azucar – a park with amazing views of Medellín.
- Parque de los Deseos – a popular park in Zona Norte offering a wide variety of free cultural activities.
The Bottom Line: Parque de los Deseos
No visit to Medellín would be complete without a visit to Zona Norte where there are several popular tourist attractions including Jardín Botanico, Parque Explora, Parque Norte and Planetario de Medellín.
While visiting the tourist attractions in Zona Norte, it’s also worth visiting Parque de los Deseos, particularly if you are with kids. This park/plaza is a good place to relax after spending time at the nearby attractions. And there are numerous street vendors selling food, drinks and snacks nearby.
In addition, there are sometimes events in the park in the evenings including free concerts and free movies.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on July 30, 2019 with information about the water fountain maintenance and hours based on a reader comment.