Restaurante In Situ is a popular fine dining restaurant located in Jardín Botánico – Medellín’s botanical gardens. It’s a lovely place with excellent and creative food.
This is an elegant yet casual restaurant. In addition, it’s located in very nice setting with the restaurant open to the botanical gardens. So, this is a good place to go with visitors to Medellín or for a romantic lunch or dinner.
I have eaten at In Situ many times over the past 8+ years and everything I have had at this restaurant has been good. And it’s one of my favorite restaurants in Medellín. Also, when my father visited Medellín, I took him to this restaurant and he said it was excellent and exceeded his expectations even though I told him it would be good.
History of Restaurante In Situ and Jardín Botánico
The history of Jardín Botánico dates back to the 19th century, when it was originally known as Casa de Baños el Edén, which was a family restaurant/estate. Medellin at the time had a population of about 40,000.
Later, at the beginning of the twentieth century, it was renamed Bosque Centenario de la Independencia (Centennial of Independence Forest) when the city acquired the land.
The site was renamed to Jardín Botánico de Medellín Joaquín Antonio Uribe in 1972. This is when Medellín was chosen to be the site for the VII World Conference on Orquideology. The facilities were upgraded with more orchids, a much wider collection of plant species, auditorium, library, museums and a larger food area for visitors.
Restaurante In Situ opened in May 2008. The restaurant is operated directly by Jardín Botánico. When the botanical gardens were transformed, Jardín Botánico decided to take over management of its food and drink areas to ensure the quality of services.
In Situ is considered to be part of a city project, which is framed in the transformation of one of the main Colombian botanical gardens. And the restaurant was created to become a cultural, gastronomic and tourist heritage of Medellín.
The Food Menu at Restaurante In Situ
It is tough to categorize Restaurante In Situ in regards to a type of restaurant as there are pasta dishes, seafood, a couple Colombian dishes and several other types of food on the menu. So, it’s more a fusion restaurant with a nice selection of dishes. Also, the menu is available in English and Spanish. Main dishes on the menu include:
Pasta and Rice
- Penne, pesto of dried tomatoes, feta cheese and mushrooms – 33,100 pesos.
- Open ravioli stuffed with fish, tomato sauce, roasted peppers and olives – 36,000 pesos.
- Fettuccine with prawns, olives, capers, dried tomatoes and fried garlic butter – 38,800 pesos.
- Pink curry rice with nuts and dried raisins – 26,300 pesos.
- Bean casserole with chorizo, chicharrón, pork, white rice, plátano, arepa and avocado – 33,600 pesos.
- Typical consommé of the field with pieces of chicken – 10,200 pesos.
- Fish breaded in nuts with wild rice and maracuyá sauce – 39,000 pesos.
- Fish with coconut sauce, yellow pepper and yuca – 47,000 pesos.
- White fish with pear risotto and beet sauce – 50,000 pesos.
- Salmon in sesame crust with black beans and tahini sauce – 47,000 pesos.
- Grilled salmon with spinach sautéed in sesame oil, asparagus and dill butter – 49,000 pesos.
- Prawns in orange and cinnamon butter with Creole potato puree and wonton – 57,600 pesos.
- Prawns packed in prosciutto, couscous and chontaduro – 60,800 pesos.
- Béarnaise steak, asparagus and mushrooms – 40,000 pesos.
- Pork ribs with cucumber salad and beer potatoes – 41,800 pesos.
- Five cheeses steak with risoni pasta with mushrooms and asparagus – 47,100 pesos.
- Lamb stewed with rosemary and hot vegetables – 49,200 pesos.
- Ball tip steak medallions with mashed cauliflower with cheese, potatoes and chardonnay sauce – 56,400 pesos.
- Angus strip loin with chimichurri, potatoes and tobacco mayonnaise – 65,200 pesos.
- Chicken leg with curry rice, spinach, almonds, raisins and leeks – 32,800 pesos.
- Chicken in green curry sauce with jasmine rice – 35,200 pesos.
- Supreme orange chicken with mashed Creole potatoes, almonds and cilantro – 41,100 pesos.
- Chicken breast with chili sauce and wild rice – 35,200 pesos.
In addition, there are eight appetizers on the menu priced from 15,200 to 23,800 pesos. Also, there are four salads on the menu priced from 21,400 to 25,000 pesos. And there are four soups priced from 21,200 to 27,700 pesos.
Finally, there are eight desserts on the menu with prices ranging from 14,900 to 18,500 pesos.
The Drink Menu at Restaurante In Situ
In Situ has a decent-sized drink menu. There are over 40 different wines and champagnes on the menu priced at 55,100 to 421,500 pesos per bottle. And house wine by the glass is 10,600 pesos. Also, there are nine different beers priced at 6,200 to 9,500 pesos.
In addition, there are 16 different cocktails for 10,600 to 27,500 pesos and one type of sangria for 56,100 pesos per pitcher. Also, the menu includes over 25 different liquors for 69,000 to 930,400 pesos per bottle or 4,800 to 66,700 pesos per shot.
In addition, there are many non-alcoholic drinks on the drink menu including juices, lemonades, sodas and waters for 3,300 to 8,500 pesos each. Finally, there are 13 coffees on the menu priced at 3,400 to 9,400 pesos.
How to Get to Restaurante In Situ
Restaurante In Situ is easy to get to. And it’s located inside Jardín Botánica, Medellín botanical gardens, which is one of the main tourist attractions in Medellín.
Jardín Botánico is easy to get to on the Medellín Metro. It is located next to the Universidad metro station on Line A.
When you enter the main entrance to Jardín Botánico, go left and Restaurante In Situ will be on your right.
Furthermore, any taxi driver in the city will know where Jardín Botánico is located.
Address: Calle 73 # 51D-14, Jardín Botánico, Medellín
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday: Noon to 4:00 pm and 6:30 to 10:00 pm; Sunday, Monday and Holidays: Noon to 4:00 pm.
The Bottom Line: Restuarante In Situ
In Situ is a popular restaurant and it’s elegant yet casual with great service and a very good atmosphere. And reservations may be needed, particularly on a Friday or Saturday. Also, its a good place for lunch when you are visiting the Medellín botanical gardens.
There are some creative dishes on the menu and the menu has changes from time to time. This restaurant has several very good dishes that you end up craving for later. And all the dishes I have tried at the restaurant have been well-presented and tasty.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
I’ve had the pleasure of eating here for lunch on a weekday during vacation. I can attest to the good reviews of this restaurant. It’s definitely enjoyable when the weather is cooperative and the restaurant opens its windows. If memory serves I had the 5 cheese steak which was prepared perfectly. I also had and appetizer and a desert dish as well. I felt that the service here was outstanding. My Spanish is not the best so they had an English speaking waitress for my table who went out of her way to accommodate my needs and answer any questions I had. I have a tendency to judge restaurants by how they service a table for one. Naturally, most restaurants of this caliber cater to 2 or more. However, In Situ made me feel like I was special none the less. If there was any negative it would have been the dessert. That’s not to say it wasn’t good(it was) but my idea of a brownie as an American is different than what a brownie is for a Colombian. The brownie on the dessert menu was more like a large chocolate muffin. I highly recommend this restaurant if you’re in the immediate area.
Looks great Jeff, and thanks for mentioning the vegetarian entrees for those of us who have long abstained from meat, seafood etc. Also, the cost of a glass of house wine is quite reasonable for this level of establishment and the beautiful setting!