Oppa Asado Coreano is a popular restaurant in Medellín with very good and authentic Korean food. Also, this restaurant is owned by a Korean who is also the chef.
After you’ve been in Colombia for a while and had your fill of rice, frijoles, patacones and chicharrón and looking for Asian food for a change of pace, Oppa Asado Coreano (Spanish for Korean Roasted Oppa) is a good option. Oppa Asado Coreano opened in October 2017 and is located in Laureles. And a second location named Oppa Rollo Coreano (Spanish for Korean Roll Oppa) is located in Provenza in El Poblado.
The dishes and flavors at this restaurant are authentic Korean and quite different than any typical Colombian dishes. I went to this Korean restaurant in Laureles recently with a Medellin Guru reader and we discovered this restaurant has good food.
Note: the above photos are courtesy of Oppa Asado Coreano.
The Food Menu
The menu at Oppa Asado Coreano has is small and only has a few typical Korean dishes. The menu includes the following main dishes:
- Bulgogi – this is a Korean style grilled dish made with thin, marinated slices of beef or other meat grilled on a barbecue or stove-top griddle. Three versions of bulgogi are available on the menu, beef for 23,900 pesos, pork for 21,900 pesos or chicken for 20,900 pesos and each comes is prepared with soy sauce, onions, mushrooms and carrots.
- Samgyopsal – grilled pork belly that is an extremely popular Korean BBQ dish. This comes with lettuce, Korean BBQ base sauce and bacon plus two types of sauces for 23,900 pesos.
- Bokkeumbap – fried rice with a traditional sauce with vegetables for 13,900 pesos and add 3,500 pesos for beef, 3,000 pesos for pork or 3,000 pesos for chicken.
- Galbi – a type of gui in Korean cuisine. “Galbi” is the Korean word for “rib”. This is a dish that comes with six BBQ pork ribs for 21,900 pesos.
- Ramen – a spicy soup with onions, mushrooms, carrots and Asian noodles for 17,900 pesos and add 3,500 pesos for beef, 3,000 pesos for pork or 3,000 pesos for chicken.
Each of the main dishes comes with two sides, kimchi and white rice. Kimchi is fermented and spicy cabbage, which is to Koreans what beans and rice is to Colombians. Also, you can ask them to make any of the dishes spicy.
Finally, there is one appetizer on the menu, huevo mari with 8 pieces of egg roll with onions, carrots, seaweed and mozzarella cheese for 8,900 pesos.
The Drink Menu
Oppa Asado Coreano has a relatively small drink menu. There are over 10 different beers available for 4,500 to 8,000 pesos. Also, they have Soju, a Korean liquor, for 29,000 pesos.
In addition, there are juices, tea and sodas on the menu for 2,500 to 6,000 pesos.
How to Get to Oppa Asado Coreano
The easiest way to get to this restaurant in Laureles is using the Medellín Metro. To get there take the Line B metro to the Estadio metro station.
Oppa Asado Coreano is located near the Primer Parque in Laureles. It’s a minimum fare taxi of 5,600 pesos from the Estadio metro station. Also, you could walk, it’s about a 15-minute walk from the metro station to this restaurant. Taxis are another options to get to this restaurant. Just provide the address below.
Address: Calle 40 #73-108, Laureles, Medellín, phone: +57 4 580 9220
The second location in Provenza in El Pobaldo has a separate Facebook page:
Address: Carrera 33 #7-135, El Poblado, Medellín, phone: +57 4 589 9565
Both locations hours: Tuesday to Sunday: Noon to 10:00 pm; Monday: closed.
Payment accepted: Credit and debit cards and cash.
The Best Asian Restaurants in Medellín
On the Medellin Guru website, we have looked at seven of the best Asian restaurants in Medellín and nearby:
- Cuon– a popular Asian restaurant in El Pobaldo with a fusion of dishes from different countries in Asia.
- Eden Bistro – a popular Korean restaurant in El Poblado with authentic Korean food.
- Halong Vietnamita– a popular Vietnamese restaurant in El Poblado with very good Vietnamese food.
- Lemoncillo – a hidden gem Vietnamese restaurant in Envigado with very good Vietnamese food.
- BaoBar – a restaurant in El Retiro with very good and authentic Singaporean food.
- Oppa Asado Coreano and Oppa Rolo Coreano – two small Korean restaurants in Laureles and El Poblado with authentic Korean food.
- Khlua Thai – authentic Thai food in Envigado for delivery
Also, we included Oppa Asado Coreano in our list of the best Asian restaurants in Medellín.
I like Asian food having lived in Asia for five years when I was younger. However, so far in over eight years living in Medellín I haven’t found a really good Chinese restaurant, even though there are many Chinese restaurants in the Medellín area.
The Bottom Line: Oppa Asado Coreano – Authentic Korean Food in Medellín
This restaurant has some good Korean dishes. And it has been discovered by some foreigners who like Asian food due to being located in Laureles not far from the Primer Parque in Laureles and a second location in Provenza.
If you like Korean food or are looking for something new to try, I recommend this restaurant. But there are two downsides to this restaurant. It’s a relatively small restaurant and is popular. So, sometimes there is a wait for a table. Also, the menu is very small so there aren’t many options available.
Readers, what is your favorite Asian restaurant in Medellín?
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.
Editors note: updated on February 26, 2021 to add Khlua Thai.