Over 6,000 restaurants opened for table service in Medellin on August 31 in a new stage of economic activation after five months of closure.
The restaurant sector generates more than 90,000 formal and informal jobs in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley.
Despite the fact that restaurants have been able to operate since April during the quarantine through domicilio (home delivery) and takeout service, the reopening of table service opens the possibility for restaurants to increase business, while respecting biosafety protocols.
Many Medellin Guru readers have asked when restaurants will reopen with table service. And the answer is Monday, August 31.
Biosafety Protocols for Restaurants
According to Resolution 1050 of 2020 of the Ministry of Health, which regulates the operation of these establishments, restaurants must guarantee an area of 6.5 feet (2 meters) between groups of tables, adapt their bathrooms to avoid contact and offer reservations if possible.
We verified today that most restaurants are now open with table service. Also, we verified that food courts in several malls in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley are open for table service and that several of the gastronomic markets in Medellín are open.
According to Alejandro Arias García, Secretary of Economic Development of the Mayor’s Office of Medellín:
Behind each restaurant there is a person who takes care of the parking lot, there is a chef, an administrator who is finally going to recover their economic life. We must break the fear and uncertainty and remember that everything will be fine.
Also starting on August 31, Pico y Cedula in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley has ended. So, anyone can now go out to eat in the restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley.
The Best Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
Medellin Guru has several articles about the best restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley:
- 19 Best Restaurants in Laureles in Medellín
- 15 Best Restaurants in Envigado, Colombia
- 15 Best Restaurants in Sabaneta, Colombia
- 14 Best Pizza Places in Medellín: The Best Pizzerias in the City
- 13 Best Burgers in Medellín: Best Burger Places in the Aburrá Valley
- 12 Best Steakhouses in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 12 Best Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants in El Poblado
- 10 Best Mexican Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Colombian Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Italian Restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley
- 9 Best Places for Brunch in El Poblado
- 5 Best Independent Coffee Shops in El Poblado
- 8 Top Coffee Shops in Laureles
- Gastronomic Markets: Ultimate Guide to Medellín’s Gastronomic Markets
Readers if you find any restaurants we have covered are closed please let us know via our contact form.
The Bottom Line – Over 6,000 Restaurants Open for Table Service in Medellín on August 31
Restaurants have finally reopened for table service in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley!
Furthermore, Pico y Cedula has ended! So, you can go out and enjoy some of the best restaurants in Medellín and the Aburrá Valley.
Sign up for the Free Medellin Guru Newsletter – You can see all of the previous Medellin Guru weekly email newsletters and sign up here.